Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Shamosa nai

A good old favorite of mine! Listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgEfYGzojcA&feature=related


Dear Blog Readers,

I think what I love most about my classes this year is the freedom within most of our assignments to reflect on our experiences.  When we are asked to analyze songs or write responses and essays we have the freedom to be creative! Thus, I am independently learning vocabulary that I will need when I want to talk with people about the things that I am passionate about in life!  If I can say "starfruit," but I cannot say autism, human rights, indigenous communities, or compassion, then how could I ever consider myself fluent or proficient beyond basic “survival-bangla”?

I am inspired!

Also, one of my main problems (shamosas) with my bangla has historically been that even if I know how to say something, I get nervous and/or doubt myself and hold back..

Actually though, I am happy to say that I am getting over this! Even in this past week I would venture to say that my bangla has improved dramatically…

I went to visit my host family from two years ago (who I consider family) and it was such a wonderful feeling to be able to converse in bangla about just about anything!

My grades in these courses ultimately will never affect me in any way.. what matters is that I am able to speak bangla!!  .. and, my dear blog readers, I am happy to say that I have made some tangible steps forward : )

As Promised... Here are some pics!
(Inside the Armenian Church that I visited with the CLS crew in Purono Dhaka)
(Corinne, Farida and I outside Ashan Manzil)
(A pic from our visit to Lalbagh Kella.. amar priyo dhakar jaiga :).. actually Lalbagh is also a popular hangout for young couples! In just about every nook and cranny you will spot a pair.  How many can you see in this pic alone?)
Another shot from Lalbagh Kella! Pictured above are all of the intermediate students 
(Me, Corrinne, Farida, and Andrew!)

(Some architectural shots from my field trip to Sonargaou!)
Brishti? Shamosha nai! 
Posing in the rain with Corrinne and Sajia apu :) 
I always love to take pictures of birds :)
I thought this moment was blog worthy..
A Shot of the city from a CNG by day!
CNG by night!
Did I forget to mention that I got married?
Oops! Jokes! :)
Ami bibihito na!

That's all for now.. More to come!
Peace,
M


2 comments:

Benita said...

Maggie, I love all your pictures! I can't wait to see more from your travels :D

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.